Why should you rent to students?
There’s a misconception in the industry that students are difficult tenants, which has put a lot of landlords off entering the student market.
We’re here to change your mind and tell you why landlords should let their properties to students.
Here are the 6 reasons why you should let it to students:
- There is consistent demand for student tenants at all points throughout the year to minimise void periods.
- Consistent demand because the education market is recession-proof; the government pays students to continue to rent no matter the economic climate. In fact, in times of economic downfall, people usually look to ‘upskill’ and go back to university. E.g. There has been a 16% increase in student enrollment during the 2020 covid recession in the UK.
- Students will usually look to rent for a 12-month tenancy and there is a lack of supply in student cities so there are always new groups ready to rent, which means that there is less stress to look for new tenants.
- Student lets tend to offer higher yields than traditional lets
- Students are not very fussy about having state-of-the-art accommodation. Since it is their first rental property, they have fewer demands than professionals.
- You do not have to deal with squatters’ rights and are less likely to deal with evictions as close to 56, 000 professional renters face eviction in the UK every year.
When should I market my property to students?
The peak period for student rentals starts in October and goes on until April/ May. However, there are always students renting throughout the year.
How can HYBR market my properties to students?
Here are a few ways HYBR markets properties:
- Listing your properties on partner marketplaces like Rightmove, Zoopla, Spareroom etc. (for free)
- Run performance marketing campaigns on Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat
- Engagement marketing through emails and SMS
- Promoting the properties through HYBR’s student ambassador program
- HYBR has partnerships with all key Universities and societies to have a constant channel of demand
Do I need to consider any special legislation?
Since you will be letting your property to sharing occupants, you will need to comply with rules around Houses in Multiple Occupations(HMOs) Read about HMO rules here.
How can HYBR help you get student tenants?
Whether you are looking for help to find student tenants, manage tenancy agreements, referencing, or any one-off service throughout the year, HYBR is there to help you. To date, we've helped thousands of students find houses, housemates, and access to educational resources.
Students love HYBR – that’s why the BBC, the Evening Standard, and The Times have kindly written about us and we have 97% 5-star reviews on Trustpilot. We have been nominated for 'Best Residential Agent', ‘Rising Star’, and ‘Green Initiative’ for two years running at the Bristol Property Awards.
Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to list your properties and ensure all your properties are 100% occupied